Grazing of Red Deer County Roadside Ditches Approved for 2023 Season
Helping farmers whose pastures were hit by drought
(RED DEER COUNTY) Red Deer County Agricultural Services would like to inform the public that Council has passed a policy to help farmers feed their stock.
Grazing in roadside ditches is prohibited unless authorized by Council resolution. County Administration will facilitate livestock grazing in County road ditches in times of severe drought for the year authorization is provided. This resolution is reviewed on a year to year basis and covers conditions set out below:
- The requests will be reviewed, and a pre-site inspection will be conducted to ensure the location is suitable for livestock grazing and does not pose a public safety concern;
- Those persons receiving permission to graze in a County ditch will be required to enter into an agreement with Red Deer County which will include but not be limited to an indemnity agreement with the County;
- County issued warning signage must be placed on the road at both ends of the grazed area. Deposits of $100 per sign and the number of signs required will be determined at the pre-site inspection;
- The applicant will be responsible for noxious and prohibited noxious weed control in the requested area during the time period that the permission has been granted;
- Grazing is permitted only during daylight hours; and livestock must be removed each day by the end of the daylight hours;
- Grazing permits will expire on October 15 of the year the permit was granted;
- Requestee's will be required to supply proof of comprehensive general liability insurance with limit of no less than $5 million with Red Deer County listed as co-insured before entering into the License to Occupy agreement with Red Deer County.
Further details can be found online at www.rdcounty.ca/livestock if you require more information or have questions on applying for your Roadside Grazing Permit please contact Agricultural Services at 403.342.8654 or firstname.lastname@example.org
To stay up to date with Red Deer County, visit www.rdcounty.ca or go to our Twitter and Facebook pages.
For more information:
Red Deer County Agricultural Services