News Flash

Red Deer County News

Posted on: April 8, 2021

Roadside Haying


Red Deer County residents who wish to harvest hay from County roadsides must submit a request form to the Agriculture Services department between January 1 and May 1 of each year. Haying in a roadside area is not allowed without a permit. The County has a roadside mowing program and a weed control program that can either mow down or apply herbicides into the ditch. The application deadline is in place to ensure that we can adjust our programming so the requesting resident may collect their hay before we resume maintenance activities. To fill out a Roadside Haying Request form, visit:

Be aware of the few stipulations:  

  • The hay harvested must be for the Red Deer County residents’ personal use only.
  • Roadside Haying Request forms must be received by Agriculture Services between January 1 and May 1 of each calendar year. 
  • Cutting must be completed by August 1. 
  • Prohibited noxious and noxious weed control in the haying permit area is the responsibility of the permit holder for the duration of the request. 
  • The permit holder must supply evidence of general liability insurance coverage of not less than $2 million per incident. 

Contact Ag Services if you have any questions.

Note: Red Deer County does not issue haying permits for primary and secondary highway right-of-ways. Please refer to Alberta Transportation - Cutting Hay requirements. Please note that Red Deer County does not allow the grazing of animals on roadside ditches. 

Find this article and more in The Current - 2021 Ag Services Guide.

Facebook Twitter Email