Freedom of Information and Protection Act (FOIP)
Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy
Red Deer County is subject to Alberta’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP). The FOIP Act aims to strike a balance between the public’s right to know and an individual’s right to privacy, as these rights relate to information held by public-sector bodies (the municipality) in Alberta.
Summary of the FOIP Act
- You have the right to request access to records held by the County, subject to limited and specific exceptions.
- You have the right to access information that the County has about you.
- You have the right to request Red Deer County to correct personal information it has about you.
- The Act controls the way in which the County may collect personal information from you, controls the use that the County may make of your personal information and controls how the County can disclose information about you.
- You have the right to request independent review of any issue related to FOIP by the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner by filling out the Request for Review Form (PDF).
Before You Submit
Not all requests for information require a formal access to information request. The information you want may already be publicly available or routinely disclosed.
Red Deer County makes every effort to be as transparent as possible and pro-actively discloses information to the public through various channels such as:
- The County’s open document sharing platform, civicweb
- Publishing of information deemed to be of public interest to the County’s website & social media accounts
- Monthly publishing of information in the County News
- The County’s Interactive Map
Available Upon Request:
Many County records and information are available without a formal access to information request. Residents are encouraged to contact the department of the County that may have the information you are seeking. The County may set reasonable fees to cover the cost of providing the information.
Request to Access or Correct Information
Once you have determined the type of request you would like to make, you can complete the request form.
Please be specific in your request and give as much detail as possible related to:
- The records you want to access;
- The business unit and/or department of Red Deer County you believe has the records; and
- The time period for the records.
Once completed, send your request to the FOIP Coordinator by:
E-mail attachment to FOIP@rdcounty.ca
By fax to 403.346.9840
By mail to: FOIP Coordinator, Red Deer County, 38106 Range Rd 275, Red Deer County, AB T4S 2L9
To learn more about Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy in Alberta, please visit