Agricultural Service Board
Every rural municipality in Alberta has an appointed Agricultural Service Board (ASB); the primary function of ASB's is to assist producers to achieve sustainable agricultural production as well as considering environmental and social issues as they relate to agriculture. Red Deer County has a long history with the Alberta Agriculture & Forestry Agricultural Service Board Program, stretching over 60 years. In fact, Red Deer County became the second ASB in the province on January 1, 1945.
AGRICULTURAL SERVICE BOARD DUTIES:
- act as an advisory body primarily to Council;
- advise and help organize and direct weed and pest control and soil and water conservation programs;
- assist in the control of livestock disease under the Livestock Diseases Act;
- promote, enhance and protect viable and sustainable agriculture with a view to improving the economic viability of the agricultural producer;
- promote and develop agricultural policies to meet the needs of the municipality;
- undertake projects/initiatives as referred by Council; and
- assist with preparation of the Agricultural Services budget to be approved by Council.
Some of the Acts that Red Deer Agricultural Services and the ASB are responsible for include:
The ASB is bound by the terms of the Agricultural Service Board Act.
AGRICULTURAL SERVICE BOARD MEMBERS
The ASB membership totals seven members; three members of Council and four members at large.
2021 Agricultural Service Board members (left to right): Councillor Richard Lorenz (Vice Chair), Councillor Connie Huelsman (Chair), Stan Bell (Member-at-Large), Councillor Dana Depalme, Rod Bradshaw (Member-at-Large), Karen Thomson (Member-at-Large), Mabel Hamilton (Member-at-Large) .
AGRICULTURAL SERVICE BOARD MEETINGS
An Agricultural Service Board must be forward thinking and connected with its community to be successful, which is why we encourage residents and landowners to attend our meetings. All ASB meetings are open to the public and are held at the Red Deer County Centre; meetings start at 9:00 am, and typically go until 3:00 pm.
Upcoming Meeting Dates:
- January 14, 2021
- March 11, 2021
- May 13, 2021
- July 8, 2021
- September 9, 2021
- November 2021 - TBD
Agendas & Minutes