Garbage & Recycling
Red Deer County is committed to providing cost effective and efficient solid waste management services for county residents and businesses. Various programs are in place to reduce the amount of waste going to the landfill through waste reduction and waste diversion. Waste transfer stations and recycling locations are situated throughout the County.
HORN HILL WASTE TRANSFER FACILITY
YANKEE FLATS WASTE TRANSFER FACILITY
GAETZ CREEK WASTE TRANSFER FACILITY
INNISFAIL WASTE TRANSFER FACILITY
Residential Garbage Collection
Residential garbage collection service is available to the hamlets of Springbrook, Spruce View, Benalto, Dickson, Markerville, the Summer Villages of Jarvis Bay and Norglenwold, and the multi-lot residential subdivisions within the Red Deer County Fire District.
- Monday: Benalto, Dickson, Jarvis Bay, Markerville, Norglenwold, Spruce View
- Tuesday: Balmoral Heights, Canyon Heights, Country Lane Estates, Forest Green, Herder, Joffre Bridge, Linn Valley, McKenzie, Meadow Ridge, Oakwood Estates, Paulice Gold, Springvale Heights, Stone Ridge Estates, Westview Estates
- Wednesday: Blindman Ridge, Bonnydale Estates, Border Ridge Estates, Broderson, Corner Gate Estates, Flemming, Green Acres, Harvey Heights, Hillside Meadows, Louis Victor, Mission Hills, Misty Ridge, Mountainview Estates, Northlane Estates, Poplar Ridge, River Country Estates, Spruce Lane Acres, Sylvan Creek Estates, Valley Ridge Estates, Westridge, Wolf River, Woodland Hills
- Thursday: Springbrook, Liberty Landing
- Regulations about solid waste can be found here.
2019 Holiday schedule
Areas that are usually collected on Wednesdays, will be moved to the following Friday.
- Christmas Day (Wednesday, December 25) - pickup will be on Friday, December 27.
- New Years Day (Wednesday, January 1) - pickup will be on Friday, January 3.
- Regularly scheduled Wednesday pickups will resume Wednesday, January 8.
- December 26 will be as per usual Thursday pickups.
There are 8 locations throughout Red Deer County where you can recycle various materials. In addition to the Waste Transfer Stations, recycling locations that offer household recycling (paper, plastic, tin, cardboard) can be found at:
- Pine Lake Race Trac Gas Station: Corner of Highway 42 and Highway 816
- Benalto: Entrance road to the Rodeo Grounds off of 50 Avenue
- Delburne: West off Range Road 233
- Barbed Wire: Barbed wire is accepted at the Horn Hill Waste Transfer Station year round. The barbed wire must be clean of all debris and must be tightly wound and rapped in order to be accepted. Between May 1 and September 30, Red Deer County will accept the first 50 tonne of barbed wire at Horn Hill at no cost. After the first 50 tonne, and during the remainder of the year, the going scale rate will be applied to the cost of disposal.
- Household Hazardous Waste: The Horn Hill Waste Transfer Station has a Household Hazardous Waste Building that accepts materials year round. Acceptable household hazardous materials can be brought to the facility during normal business hours at no cost. Household hazardous waste materials only, no commercial or industrial loads will be accepted.
- Twine: Bale twine will now be accepted at Horn Hill Waste Transfer Station, Gaetz Creek Waste Transfer Station and Yankee Flats Waste Transfer Station at no charge. Material can be placed in clearly marked bins at any of these sites during regular operating hours. Ask the site attendant for directions and for more information about the program. Twine must be free from silage wrap, net wrap, mud and other contaminants. A small amount of contaminants (less than 5% by volume) in the form of grass, hay, etc. will be accepted. This is at the sole discretion of the site attendant. Twine can be either be collected and delivered to site and dropped off in specially marked containers, or: Specially marked, clear plastic bags can be picked up at either of the three sites. These clear bags are for this program only and allow the operator to inspect the twine when the bags are brought back to the facility full.
- Pesticide Containers: Empty agricultural based pesticide containers can be brought to the Horn Hill Waste Transfer Station, rear round; during regular operating hours at no cost. Containers must be completely empty, triple rinsed and punctured in order to be accepted.
- Scrap Tires: Scrap tires are accepted at the Horn Hill Waste Transfer Station, Gaetz Creek Waste Transfer Station, and Yankee Flats Waste Transfer Station at no cost. Tires must be removed from the rim prior to delivery.
- Electronic Waste: Electronic Waste is accepted at the Horn Hill Waste Transfer Station at no cost. Only items on the Alberta Recycling Management Authority electronic waste acceptable items list will be accepted under this program. Other electronic items which are not on the list can be accepted but as part of the normal waste stream at which the going scale rate will apply to the cost of disposal.
Visit the Alberta Recycling Management Authority website for an up-to-date list of acceptable electronic items.
- Scrap Metal, Fridges, Freezers and White Goods: These scrap metal related items are accepted at the Horn Hill Waste Transfer Station. Applicable fees will apply.
- Yearly Household Hazardous Waste and Electronic Waste Roundup: In addition to the facilities at the Horn Hill Waste Transfer Station, a yearly roundup for household hazardous waste and electronic waste are conducted in various parts of the county. LEARN MORE about this year's roundup.
Those rural residents that decide to burn garbage should read the Fire Services Bylaw 2012/14 and contact Red Deer County Fire Services with questions at 403.343.6667. With regards to Provincial regulations, you can contact Alberta Environmental Protection at 403.340.4805, and review acceptable and unacceptable burn materials.