Senior's Financial Assistance
One of the most frequently asked questions by seniors is whether or not seniors have to pay Education Property Tax. The education tax is a tax based on property assessment; therefore, seniors who own property must pay school tax.

The Government of Alberta offers a Property Tax Assistance program called the Seniors Property Tax Deferral Program. This program replaced the Education Property Tax Assistance for Senior’s which expired on December 31, 2013.

The Seniors Property Tax Deferral Program began in 2013, and allows eligible senior homeowners to defer all or part of their property taxes through a low-interest home equity loan with the Alberta Government. This program is facilitated through the Alberta Government, not the Red Deer County. For more information on this program, call 1-877-644-9992 or see the Senior's Property Tax Deferral Program link at the bottom of this page for more information and the application form.

Discover More >>Senior's Property Tax Deferral Program

Show All Answers

1. How Property Taxes Are Determined
2. Understanding Your Assessment
3. Assessment Classes
4. Assessment Inspections
5. Property Ownership Changes
6. Manufactured Mobile Home Parks
7. Filing A Complaint On An Assessment
8. Education Property Tax
9. Senior's Financial Assistance