News Flash

Red Deer County News

Posted on: May 8, 2020

Burn permits now available online


Did you know that Red Deer County has moved to an online burn permitting system? County residents are now able to create an account and apply for their burn permits online at 

The new system offers a variety of features and gives users the ability to update personal information, set up preferred methods of notification, which include text and email, among other things. Residents are also able to apply for open burn permits for up to five (5) pieces of property at one time. Permits are received electronically and can be accessed at any time through your online account.

Please note that all burn permits must now be activated once ready to start burning. This can be done using the burn registration feature located in your online account or by calling 587.802.9978.

Who can obtain a burn permit? Red Deer County residents living in approved areas who are not burning prohibited debris can apply for fire permits. Permits are conditional and may be revoked at any time.

Do I need a permit? Residents that would like to have an open-air fire (bonfire, open burn on the ground for yard clean up, garden waste, brush piles, large open fire pit, field burns, etc) need to apply for a fire permit year-round. Open-air burning is prohibited in all County Industrial Subdivision areas and Woodland Hills subdivision (fire pit only permitted). Residents that would like to have an open-air fire in a standard acceptable back yard pit do not require a permit except for those residing in the Woodland Hills subdivision. Residents of Woodland Hills must renew their permit annually. 

How can I obtain a burn permit? To apply for a burn permit, please complete the online application. Online permit applications are the preferred method to obtain a fire permit. If you require assistance creating a Red Deer County burn permit account or want to apply for a permit via telephone, please call 403-343-6667.

What can I burn? Items that can be burned include brush and fallen trees, small amounts of wood or wood products not containing preservatives (such as dry, seasoned wood and untreated or unpainted wood), solid waste from tree harvesting, clean straw or hay (not containing animal manure), grass and weeds, leaves and tree prunings including small brush piles, solid waste from post and pole operations that does not contain wood preservatives.

How long are permits valid for? Applicants can apply for one (1), two (2), or three (3) day permits. Permits must be applied for the same day as the applicants intends to burn

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Red Deer County News