Red Deer County has closed the County Office temporarily due to ongoing concerns with the COVID-19 virus. During this time, the Safety Codes Department has limited staff and resources while working remotely. Processing times for permit applications, fee payments and general inquiries may be longer than average.
Submitting Permit Applications
Complete permit applications can be submitted via email to email@example.com. Please allow up to four (4) business days for administrative review and fee processing for building permits and sub-trade permits. Building permit issuance may take between 10 and 15 business days.
To ensure timely review of your permit application, please provide the following:
1. A completed permit application is filled out and submitted in its entirety, including signatures where applicable and complete contact information (phone numbers and email addresses) for all owners, contractors and applicants.
2. All documentation required as listed on the checklist attached to the building permit application – for building permits only. The checklist can be found on the County website at www.rdcounty.ca/151/Forms
3. Large file sizes may exceed email server size limitations. If you are submitting a large file, please make use of Dropbox or an equivalent file sharing service.
When your application is reviewed and deemed complete, the Safety Codes department will contact the Applicant to arrange payment of the permit fees. Fees will be accepted in the following ways:
1. Applicants can fill out a Credit Card Authorization form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 403.346.9840.
2. Payment by cheque will only be accepted via mail or by dropping off in the external mail drop at the County Office. Cheques must reference a permit number to be processed. Cheques arriving without a permit number for reference will not be processed.
3. Once permit fees have been processed for building permit applications, please allow for 10 to 15 business days for permit issuance. Sub-trade permits will be issued after receipt of payment.
When requesting inspections please take measures to ensure that there will be no people on site or a limited number of people on site at the time of inspections. Respect social distancing protocols and do not request inspections for a project where there may be any questions or concerns related to the health of people at the location. Red Deer County respects the guidelines provided by the Safety Codes Council related to inspections and may accept pictures or video in lieu of site inspections dependent on the situation. Contact the Red Deer County building inspector for more information at 403.754.6371.
Questions and Inquiries
Please direct all email inquiries for permit applications, general safety codes inquiries, inspection requests, report inquiries and submission of Verifications of Compliance to email@example.com. Please direct all phone calls to 403.754.6371. Emails and voice messages directed to individual staff members may not be monitored.